The second half of June and the entirety of July have been crazy times for this household. Shortly after my last posting, I applied (on a whim) for one of the elusive full-time ESL teaching positions at my community center. Given the scarcity of FT ESL jobs anywhere, I knew there'd be fierce competition. The position didn't even have to be posted externally, because there were half a dozen applicants within our staff!
After a short interview and some wait time, I was informed that I had received it! This happened about the week before July started. So, within a few days, I switched from teaching one class per evening to teaching two classes per day. Moved from intermediate and advanced students to beginners. From one classroom to another. From being a night owl to an early bird (the transition of which is still not quite finished, though is greatly assisted by my new friend coffee!!).
This new job is an ENORMOUS blessing from God, and something I have desired for a long time. It has proved to be the challenge that I longed for, as I have never taught Level 1 students (aside from being an English tutor) before now. The students are so lovely and are quite different from my former evening students--they're super-eager, generous (there has yet to be a break without some kind of purchased or homemade baked good + tea and coffee!), funny, driven to help each other, and excited. Their energy is a tremendous boost to me, especially at 8:30 am when our first class starts! I am still learning how to pace a class of beginners, but they are extremely patient with me and are teaching me a lot!
That being said, having a full-time position hasn't been without its challenges. Everyone who congratulated me on getting the job remarked "now you'll get more time with your husband, since you're not working evenings anymore." Yes and no :) True, we physically inhabit the same space now in the evenings, but it's taken me some time to learn how much marital socializing I can handle. The "I" (introvert) in me feels very demanding by the workday's end, after I've spent 6 hours talking to students and 2-3 hours talking to other teachers/staff. By the time I get home, I'm pretty wiped. Those who know me know that I rarely watch TV, but I've watched many episodes of The Wire since this new job started :) Poor Paul!
Anyway, you're probably thinking, what does that have to do with adoption?
You're aware that since the last posting we've been gathering funds for the cost of the home study. We've been very fortunate to receive encouraging notes and gifts from friends and family to put toward our goal, the mysterious work of which can only be attributed to the Holy Spirit stirring hearts. I cannot tell you how floored I've been to hear from folks I have not connected with in years, or those I have only known for a short time. It is humbling and awesome to see how God has provided.
With the assistance we've received from loved ones, and with the extra income afforded to us by this full-time job, we were finally able yesterday to submit our completed home study application and the $3500 home study fee to our home study agency. PRAISE GOD!!! This egg has legs again!
With the craziness of the new job, the frustration over new checks I ordered not arriving on time and having to be re-ordered (hence why I couldn't write a check for the home study fee!) and taking forever, and many days of physical and spiritual fatigue and inconsistent connecting with Paul, I did experience days where I wondered if this adoption course was right. I have battled with the initial pace seeming so glacial, to the point of even doubting sometimes if this is really going to turn out.
I am thankful for the tiny nudges and check-ups by friends, the beauteous sitings of adoptive families in our neighborhood, and God's internal reminders/gifts of peace, joy, and grace. Friends, you have no idea how sustaining and life-giving your interest and excitement have been. Please keep it up :)
Another soothing presence has been the Word. Here is a snippet of today's Old Testament gift, where Habakkuk (ch. 2), distressed over Israel's injustice and violence, shows persistence in waiting for God's answer to his cries:
"I will stand at my guard post,
and station myself upon the rampart,
And keep watch to see what he will say to me,
and what answer he will give to my complaint.
Then the LORD answered me and said:
Write down the vision
Clearly upon the tablets,
so that one can read it readily.
For the vision still has its time,
presses on to fulfillment, and will not disappoint;
If it delays, wait for it,
it will surely come, it will not be late.
The rash man has no integrity;
but the just man, because of his faith, shall live."
Friends, I pray that I may remain true and honest to the vision, presenting it clearly, and having faith that it be fulfilled when God's time is ripe. I will wait for it. It will surely come.
--Aubrey

Oh Aub...that's wonderful news. I meant to ask you what was going on the other weekend and didn't get the chance. We're praying for you and this next step and hoping that everything goes smoothly for the home study (and of course that you are able to get some rest from the constance of life). Love you.
ReplyDelete